The Department started in 1938 under the name of Agricultural Chemistry and Soil Science and then under the name of Biochemistry and Soil Science. During the development of Food Industry Sector in the Sudan, and the need for trained graduates in this area, the Department was restructured and named Department of Food Science and Technology in 1997.
- Teaching the basic science courses such as Chemistry and Biochemistry to all students of the Faculty of Agric.
- Teaching applied science courses in the field of Food Science and Technology for Diploma, B.Sc. and M.Sc. Studies.
- Supervision of graduate and undergraduate students in the Department.
- Conducting research programs in the field of Food Science and Technology to solve the problems of the food industry.
- Qualifying Teaching Assistants and lecturers of the Department and other Universities in the field of Food Science and Technology.
- Qualify researchers to join research corporations in Sudan and other countries .
- Cooperation with the various research institutions to conduct joint research projects